April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 03 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 03. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 03 April:
- 1680: The Maratha ruler Shivaji died at Raigad Fort in Maharashtra.
- 1776: George Washington received an LL.D.honorary degree from Harvard College.
- 1783: Sweden and America sign a treaty of amity and commerce.
- 1856: A Bam explosion in a church in the Rhodes Islands of Greece killed about 4000 people.
- 1896: The Italian sports newspaper La Gazzetta Dallo is published in the first edition of the game.
- 1903: Social reformer and freedom fighter Kamaladevi Chattopadhyay was born in Mangalore district of Karnataka.
- 1910: Has written 114 years of experience of the Alamo battle and all the details of his life in Juan Vargas.
- 1911: Draft registration became compulsory for all boys aged 14 to 20 in New Zealand.
- 1914: India’s first Field Marshal S.W.HF Jay Manekshaw was born in Amritsar.
- 1933: For the first time the aircraft flew over Mount Everest, the world’s highest peak.
- 1942: German submarine U-702 lost in North Sea mine.
- 1949: US, UK, France and Canada sign the North Atlantic Treaty.
- 1962: Jawaharlal Nehru was elected Prime Minister of India.
- 1968: American film Planet of the Apes released in theaters.
- 1987: Showboat Casino Hotel is established in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- 1999: India launched its first global telecom satellite INSAT 1E.
- 2001: Former United States President Bill Clinton visits India.
- 2006: Maoists declare ceasefire in Nepal.
- 2008: Indian social activist Medha Patkar was awarded the National Krantivir Award 2008.
- 2012: 17 migrant workers killed in heavy fire in Moscow, capital of Russia.
- 2013: More than 50 people died due to severe floods in Argentina.
- 2016: West Indies won the ICC Twenty20 World Cup 2016 by defeating England in the final match played at the Eden Gardens ground in Kolkata.