April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 12 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 12. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 12 April:
- 1621: Birth of Sikh Guru Tegh Bahadur.
- 1756: Seven Years’ War: Minorca invaded the French under British control at this time.
- 1782: Battle of Les Santes West-Indies: British fleet defeated French.
- 1796: First Alliance War – Battle of Monnet: Napoleon Bonaparte wins his first victory as an army commander.
- 1798: The Helletic Republic, a French client Republican, declares the French invasion after the fall of the Old Swiss Conference.
- 1801: William Cray was appointed Professor of Bengali Language at Fort William College, Calcutta (now Kolkata).
- 1844: The Texan envoy signed a treaty of contract with the United States.
- 1885: Rakhaldas Banerjee, the famous historian who discovered Mohenjodaro, was born.
- 1927: British cabinet supports giving 21 year old women the right to vote.
- 1930: Germany and Austria sign a trade agreement.
- 1945: Death of US President Roosevelt.
- 1945: US President Franklin D.Roosevelt dies in office, Vice President Harry Truman becomes President.
- 1945: The Battle of Athition ends with the victory of the Allies.
- 1961: The Soviet Union sent the first man Yuri Gagarin into space.
- 1967: Amarsson Theater opens in Los Angeles.
- 1978: To commemorate 125 years of Indian Railways, the country’s first double-decker train Sinhagad Express was run from the Victoria Terminal of Bombay (now Mumbai) to Pune.
- 1991: Gulf War formally ends.
- 1998: Girija Prasad Koirala appointed as the new Prime Minister of Nepal.
- 2003: Hungary approves joining the European Union in a referendum.
- 2009: Zimbabwe renounces its official currency, the Zimbabwe Dollar.
- 2013: France’s Senate recognizes same-sex marriage.