April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 17 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 17. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 17 April:
- 1524: Giovanni Verajano discovers New York Bay.
- 1704: First American newspaper; Published by John Campbell in Boston.
- 1711: Charles IV becomes Roman emperor after his brother Joseph dies.
- 1747: French troops capture Zeeves-Flanders, Netherlands.
- 1758: Francis Williams (the first US Black College graduate) published his poems.
- 1774: The first explicitly Unitarian mandala of the Asquest Street Chapel in London was established by Theophilus Lindsey.
- 1861: American Civil War: Virginia seceded from the United States.
- 1875: Sir Neville Chamberlin invented snooker.
- 1876: Friends Academy is founded by Gideon Frost in Locust Valley New York.
- 1895: Shimonoseki’s agreement between Japan and China.
- 1899: Calcutta (now Kolkata) gets hydroelectric power.
- 1941: Yugoslavia surrendered to Germany during World War II.
- 1946: Syria gains independence from France.
- 1971: Egypt, Libya, and Syria form a union to form the United Arab State.
- 1975: Second President of India Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan dies.
- 1983: India launched the SLV-3 rocket.
- 1993: The spacecraft STS-56 Discovery returns to Earth.
- 1995: The assassination of Iqbal Christ, a young activist who abolished child labor in Pakistan.
- 2000: Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin becomes King of Perlis.
- 2003: Formation of Indo-UK Parliamentary Forum after 55 years.
- 2014: Death of renowned Colombian novelist Grabiel Marquez.