April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 20 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 20. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 20 April:
- 1712: Jahandar Shah ascended the throne of Delhi.
- 1770: Georgian King Erikle II defeated the Ottoman army at the Battle of Aspindra.
- 1777: New York adopts new constitution as an independent state.
- 1785: Thomas Warton is appointed British poet laureate by King George III.
- 1836: Wisconsin Territory was created, the first capital being Belmont.
- 1845: Romon Castilla is made President of Peru.
- 1878: Birth of Maulvi Abdul Haq, father of Urdu.
- 1878: Stowel gifts are introduced for the first time in Australia.
- 1888: 246 people killed in hailstorm in Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- 1889: Birth of German dictator Adolf Hitler.
- 1911: Death of famous flute player Pannalal Ghosh.
- 1920: 219 people killed by storm in Alabama and MissCP.
- 1921: Ferenc Molnar’s play Lilliom was first made in English in the city of Broadway.
- 1939: In Germany, the 50th birthday of the dictator Adolf Hitler was celebrated as National Day.
- 1960: Boeing 707 becomes the first jet aircraft in the Air India fleet.
- 1969: British troops arrive in Northern Ireland to reinforce the Royal Ulster Constabulary.
- 1972: The Apollo-16 expedition landed on the moon after battling for six hours of crisis, with John Young and Charles Duke’s team becoming the fifth team in history to land on the moon.
- 1973: Canada’s AMIK A-2 becomes the first commercial satellite.
- 1997: Mr.
- 1999: Former German Chancellor Helmut Cole awarded US highest civilian honor ‘The Presidential Medal of Freedom’.
- 2008: The first South Korean astronaut Yisoyeon returned to Earth safely after spending nine days on the International Space Station.
- 2011: The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) satellite launch vehicle ‘PSLV’ successfully placed three satellites into space.