According to Gregory calendar, December 12 is the day number 346 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 347. December 12 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 12. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 12th December:
- 1716: Is demoted from his office as Secretary of State to the Northern Department in the British Government and transferred by James Stanhope, 1st Earl Stanhope.
- 1765: The Gadget of Pennsylvania reports that the recently established postage stamps for the royal colony of North Carolina include Drs. Huston resigned from his post in protest at the Stamp Act.
- 1787: Pennsylvania becomes the second province to adopt the US Constitution.
- 1800: Washington DC is made the capital of America.
- 1804: Spain declares war on the United Kingdom.
- 1816: The throne of Sicily and Naples merge into two Kingdom of Sicily under King Ferdinand I.
- 1872: Balkrishna Sivaram Munje, freedom fighter and president of Hindu Mahasabha was born.
- 1901: G.D. Marconi first sent a radio message to Atlantic. The dialogue took place from Cornwall in England to Newfoundland in Canada.
- 1911: Delhi was replaced by the capital of India, Calcutta (now Kolkata).
- 1913: Vincenzo Perugia, arrested trying to sell Mona Lisa in Florence city.
- 1914: New York Stock Exchange reopened.
- 1915: Chinese President Yuwan Xi Ki reinstated the monarchy and declared himself Emperor of China.
- 1917: 543 people died after French army train derailed in French Alps.
- 1923: 600 people killed by the Po River dam burst in Italy.
- 1925: Chile inaugurates the National Bird Udyan.
- 1925: Ghulam Guard, Indian cricketer (lefty pace bowler in 2 Tests for India 1959), born in Surat, Gujarat (d. 1978)
- 1940: Sharad Pawar, Indian politician (founded Nationalist Congress Party in 1999), born in Baramati, Bombay Presidency, British India
- 1950: Rajinikanth [Shivaji Rao Gaekwa], Indian film actor (Centenary Award 2014), born in Bangalore, India
- 1959: UN Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Uncomputed Outer Space is established.
- 1964: Famous Hindi poet and litterateur Maithilisharan Gupta died.
- 1971: All facilities and out-of-pocket expenses provided by the Indian Parliament to former kings were canceled.
- 1980: America changes copyright law to include computer programs.
- 1981: India’s famous all-rounder Yuvraj Singh was born. He has 1900 runs and 9 wickets in 40 Tests and 8329 runs and 11 wickets in 293 ODIs.
- 1997: FIFA Confederation Cup begins in Saudi Arabia.
- 2001: Winona Ryder is arrested from Beverly Hills, California on charges of theft.
- 2007: A Peru court sentenced former President Alberto Fujimaro to six years imprisonment and a fine of $ 13,000.
- 2015: Elected first female member in municipal council election in Saudi Arabia.