According to Gregory calendar, December 19 is the day number 353 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 354. December 19 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 19. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 19th December:
- 1154: King Henry II was handed the throne of the Emperor of England at the age of 21.
- 1821: South Orkney Islands are discovered by George Powell and Nathaniel Palmer.
- 1823: Georgia implemented the first American state birth registration law in the United States.
- 1860: Lord Dalhousie, who was the Governor General of India from 1848 to 1856, died in Britain.
- 1889: Bishop Museum established in Hawaii.
- 1907: An explosion in a coal mine in Jacobs Creek in the US state of Pennsylvania killed 239 workers.
- 1907: 239 dead in a Pennsylvania coal mine explosion.
- 1927: The great freedom fighters Ram Prasad Bismil, Ashfaq Ulla Khan and Roshan Singh were hanged by the British.
- 1931: Joseph A. Lyons becomes Prime Minister of Australia.
- 1932: BBC starts its international services to Australia.
- 1934: 12th President of India, Pratibha Patil, was born in Jalgaon, Maharashtra.
- 1950: Jane Eisenhower becomes commander of the Northern Atlantink Alliance.
- 1961: Goa gets independence from Portuguese slavery. Indian troops entered the border of Goa under Operation Vijay.
- 1966: Asian Development Bank was started.
- 1974: Former Australia captain Ricky Potting is born. In his career, he has scored 13378 runs in 168 Tests and 13704 runs in 375 ODIs.
- 1976: John Lever takes 7-46 in 1st Test Cricket innings, v India Delhi
- 1978: Indira Gandhi ambushed in India
- 1989: Workers strike in Romanian cities to protest against Communist rule.
- 1991: Bob Hawke was sworn in as Prime Minister of Australia by Paul Keating.
- 1998: Amartya Sen was awarded honorary citizenship by Bangladesh, Sheel Kumar (India) as the best player in world handicapped skiing held in Denver (USA).
- 2007: Time magazine conferred Russian President Vladimir Putin with Person of the Year title.
- 2008: Chanda Kochhar is named as the successor of K. V. Kamath to the post of CEO and Managing Director of ICICI Bank
- 2012: Park Gyun O South Korea’s first female president