According to Gregory calendar, December 21 is the day number 355 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 356. December 21 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 21. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 21st December:
- 1784: John J. Became America’s first foreign minister.
- 1784: John Jay is elected the first US Secretary of State (Foreign Affairs).
- 1847: Amir Abdelkadar surrenders and is imprisoned by the French.
- 1849: 1 US Skating Club was formed (Philadelphia).
- 1894: Mackenzie Bowell becomes the fifth Prime Minister of Canada.
- 1898: French scientists Pierre and Marie Curie discovered radium.
- 1907: Chilean soldiers fire mining staff at Santa Maria School.
- 1911: The first indigenous bank, Central Bank of India, was founded by Sorabji Pochkhanwala.
- 1913: The world’s first cross word puzzle, Arthur Wayne’s Word Cross, published in New York World.
- 1931: James Skillin resigned as Australian Prime Minister.
- 1937: The first cartoon film with colorful illustrations and voices – Disney Snow White was screened.
- 1949: Portuguese rulers declared Indonesia as a sovereign nation.
- 1952: Saifuddin Kichlu became the first Indian to receive the Lenin Peace Prize of the then Soviet Union.
- 1955: 2nd National Film Awards (India): “Mirza Ghalib” wins the Golden Lotus
- 1962: Britain agrees to buy Polaris missiles from the US.
- 1963: Inter-communal fighting between Greek and Turkish Cyprus begins.
- 1968: Apollo 8 was launched to orbit the Moon from Kennedy Space Center.
- 1971: Kurt Waldheim became the fourth Secretary-General of the United Nations Security Council.
- 1974: INS Satavahana, the country’s first vessel to offer submarine training, was inducted into the ship fleet at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- 1988: A Pan Am jumbo jet crashes into the city of Lockerbie near the border of Scotland with 258 passengers.
- 2004: Iraqi rebels attack an American military base in the city of Mosul, killing 22 people.
- 2004: Autar Singh Paintal, Indian medical scientist, dies at 79
- 2007: First joint exercise between India and China begins at Kunming Military Academy in Southern Yunnan Province of China.
- 2011: Notable nuclear physicist P.K. Iyengar died.
- 2012: Gangnam Style ‘became the first video to be viewed one billion times on YouTube.
- 2016: Indian sports drama film “Dangal” directed by Nitesh Tiwari and starring Aamir Khan, Fatima Sana Shaikh and Sanya Malhotra premieres – first Indian film to earn $300 million worldwide