Today in History: According to Gregory calendar, January 10, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. January 10 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on January 10. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 10th January:
- 1475: Stephen III of Moldavia defeats the Ottoman Empire at the Battle of Vaslui.
- 1623: The world’s first newspaper named Gazette is published in the city of Venice, Italy.
- 1692: Jab Charnock, known as the creator of Kolkata, died.
- 1731: Charles Fernice is made king of Piacenza.
- 1776: “Common Sense” Pamphlet by Thomas Paine, published advocating American independence
- 1824: British chemist Joseph Aspidian made cement. His achievement is considered an important advancement in the field of construction.
- 1836: Professor Madhusudan Gupta studied the internal structure of the human body for the first time.
- 1838: Lloyd’s Coffee House and Royal Exchange of London is destroyed by fire.
- 1839: Tea from India 1st arrives in UK
- 1840: Uniform Penny Post launched in the United Kingdom.
- 1860: 146 workers were killed by the fall of Pemberton Mill in Lawrence Massachusetts, United States.
- 1863: The world’s first underground rail service started in London.
- 1863: The first underground railway opened in London.
- 1901: The Grand Opera House in the city of Cincinnati is destroyed by a fire.
- 1920: The First World War ended with the Warsaw Pact officially coming into effect.
- 1923: Last US Army leaves Rhineland (Germany).
- 1940: Noted singer, songwriter and actor K.J. Yesudas was born.
- 1946: Representatives of 51 nations attended the first meeting of the United Nations General Assembly in London.
- 1954: Britain’s Comet jet crashes into the Mediterranean, killing all 35 people on board the plane. Comet was the first jet aircraft in the world to be built by Britain.
- 1963: Government of India introduced the Gold Control Scheme. Under which, jewelery of more than 14 carats was banned.
- 1964: Battles between Muslims & Hindus in Calcutta
- 1966: India & Pakistan sign Tashkent Declaration peace accord
- 1974: Hrithik Roshan, Indian actor & dancer (Bang Bang!, Fiza, Kaho Naa… Pyaar Hai), born in Mumbai, Maharashtra
- 1996: King Hussein of Jordan reached Tel Aviv, the country’s largest city on his first public visit.
- 2013: 100 people were killed and 270 injured in several bomb blasts in Pakistan.