According to Gregory calendar, January 16, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. January 16 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on January 16. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 16th January:
- 1412: The Medici family is appointed official banker of the Papacy
- 1547: Ivan IV the Terrible (17) crowns himself first tsar of Moscow
- 1605: The first edition of “El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha” (Book One of Don Quixote) by Miguel de Cervantes is published in Madrid
- 1793: French King Louis XVI sentenced to death by the National Convention during the French Revolution
- 1913: British House of Commons accepts Home Rule for Ireland (but the Great War gets in the way of it happening)
- 1920: 1st assembly of the League of Nations is held in Paris