According to Gregory calendar, January 24, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. January 24 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on January 24. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 24th January:
- 1667: Breda agreement is signed between Britain and Holland. Under which the Netherlands handed them over to Britain because they could not control their colonies in the continent of America.
- 1722: Edward Wiglesworth is appointed the first North American divinity professor.
- 1742: German leaders elect Charles VII as emperor of Albert.
- 1744: The Dagohoy Rebellion in the Philippines began with the murder of Giuseppe Lamberti.
- 1813: The Philharmonic Society was founded in London (later the Royal Philharmonic Society).
- 1848: California Gold Rush: James W. Marshall Coloma discovered gold at Sutter’s Mill, California.
- 1857: University of Calcutta and Bombay established as the first multidisciplinary modern university in South Asia.
- 1859: Oil was dug for oil for a depth of 230 meters for the first time.
- 1924: The city of St. Petersburg, Russia, was renamed Leningrad.
- 1936: Albert Saurot becomes Prime Minister of France.
- 1939: An earthquake in Chile killed 30,000 people.
- 1950: The Constituent Assembly elected Rajendra Prasad as the first President of the country.
- 1950: Jana Gana Mana, Adhinayak Jai He, got the status of national anthem of India.
- 1965: Former British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill died at the age of 90.
- 1966: Air India’s Boeing 707 crashes near the summit of Monblaw in the hills of the Alps. 117 people died in it.
- 1984: Apple Computer markets its Macintosh personal computer in the United States.
- 1996: For the first time in US history, the country’s first woman, Hillary Clinton, is ordered to appear in court.
- 2000: President’s approval was given to the 79th amendment of the constitution to extend the reservation of Dalits for 10 years in elections.
- 2003: Extradition treaty signed between India and France.
- 2011: A bomb blast at Moscow’s Donodidovo Airport killed 35 people and injured 180.