According to Gregory calendar, January 27, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. January 27 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on January 27. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 27th January:
- 1756: Britain and Prussia sign Treaty of Westminster.
- 1841: Erebus, an active volcano in Antarctica, was discovered and established under the name of James Clark Ross.
- 1880: Thomas Alva Edison patented an electric bulb.
- 1891: 109 people killed in a mine explosion at Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania.
- 1897: British troops capture Bida Gold Cost of Ghana.
- 1900: German researcher Felix Hafmann made pain medicine for the first time.
- 1905: Maurice Rouviere forms government in France.
- 1926: Scottish scientist John Logie Baird displays television to the world.
- 1943: America launches Germany for the first time by air attack.
- 1948: First tape recorder sold.
- 1959: The foundation stone of the first College of Engineering and Technology was laid in New Delhi.
- 1969: 14 people sentenced to death for espionage in Baghdad.
- 1974: President VV Giri dedicated the Nehru Memorial Museum at Teen Murti in New Delhi to the nation.
- 1976: The first battle of Amgala in the Spanish Sahara ends between Morocco and Algeria.
- 1988: Helicopter Postal Service was inaugurated for the first time.
- 2008: 96 Women’s Australian Open: Maria Sharapova defeated Ana Ivanovich (7-5, 6-3).
- 2013: Seven people died and 630 people were injured during protests in Egypt.