May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 08 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 08. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 08 May:
- 1541: Hernando de Soto discovers Mississippi River.
- 1713: Sankt Piterburg (St.Petersburg) was made the capital of Russia, replacing Masqua.
- 1721: Pope Innocent XIII Pope Clement XI succeeds as 244th Pope.
- 1736: Frederick who was Prince of Wales, married Augusta, Princess of Saxe-Goth.
- 1741: France and Bavaria sign Nymphenburg agreement.
- 1773: In Egypt, the Ottoman rebels rebel, killing Ali Bay, the Malluk Sultan of Egypt.
- 1847: Robert W.to rubber tires. Thompson got patented.
- 1863: American Civil War: Commences siege of Port Hudson, Louisiana by military association.
- 1886: American pharmacist Dr.John Pemberton made a carbonated beverage named Coca Cola.
- 1898: First game of Italy Football League was played.
- 1921: Sweden abolishes capital punishment.
- 1933: Mahatma Gandhi started the movement against untouchability.
- 1954: Central Government incorporated Chandranagar into the state of West Bengal.
- 1956: Austria and Israel enhance diplomatic relations.
- 1970: The Beatles released their 12th and final album “Jaane Bhi Do”.
- 1980: World Health Organization announces eradication of smallpox.
- 1984: France conducts nuclear test on the island.
- 1988: François Mitterand’s party was re-elected for 7 years in France.
- 1997: China’s Southern Airlines flight 3456 crashed, killing 35 people.
- 2000: Lord Swarajpal, 69, of Indian origin, appointed as the Chancellor of Britain’s fourth-largest university in Britain.
- 2004: Sri Lankan spin bowler Muttiah Muralitharan holds the record for most Test wickets with 521 wickets.