May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 09 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 09. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 09 May:
- 1386: Windsor Agreement between Portugal and England, one of the oldest treaties in the world.
- 1576: War of Haldi valley started between Maharana Pratap and Akbar.
- 1653: The construction of the Taj Mahal, India’s world-famous historical building, was completed after 22 years of continuous work.
- 1738: Britain sends a fleet to the West Indies from the Mediterranean Sea.
- 1766: John Burn returns to England after traveling around the world.
- 1785: British inventor Joseph Bramma obtained a patent for a patented beer pump handle.
- 1798: Battle of Orlert Hill takes place in Wexford, Ireland.
- 1901: First Australian Parliament opens in Melbourne.
- 1916: The American cargo ship SS Royono kills 47 people off the coast of California.
- 1945: German occupation of the Channel Islands ends.
- 1946: The first Satyagraha movement against the Portuguese rule started in Goa under the leadership of Dr.Ram Manohar Lohia.
- 1947: The World Bank gave its first loan to France.
- 1951: The Opera House in the city of Geneva, Switzerland, is destroyed in a fire accident.
- 1960: America becomes the first country to legalize birth control pill.
- 1975: First electric typing machine was created.
- 1979: The Salvadoran Civil War began.
- 1993: Three hundred people died due to landslides in the Nambija region of the South American country Ecuador.
- 2002: 130 people were killed and 43 were injured when a remote controlled bomb exploded during a holiday parade in Russia’s Kaspisk region.
- 2003: American multinational company Google introduced internet program Adsense.
- 2006: European constitution ratified in European country Estonia.
- 2006: Estonia ratifies the European Constitution.
- 2009: NASA sent a reconnaissance space into space to search for water on the moon.