May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 14 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 14. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 14 May:
- 1610: The assassination of Henry IV in France and Louis XIII ascend the throne of France.
- 1702: England and Netherlands declare war against France and Spain.
- 1702: England and Netherlands declare war with France and Spain
- 1719: New France captures Bienville, Pensacola in a war with Spain.
- 1767: British government reduces import duty of Americans on tea.
- 1796: Edward Jenner first vaccinated smallpox in England.
- 1800: Second Alliance: French forces under General Luis-Alexander Berthier were intercepted by 400 Austro-Piedhamon troops at Fort Burd in the Osta Valley.
- 1811: Paraguay liberated from Spain’s subjugation.
- 1811: Paraguay declared independence from the Spanish Empire (recognized 15 May).
- 1870: First rugby match played in New Zealand between Nelson Football Club and Nelson College.
- 1908: For the first time someone flew in an airplane.
- 1912: China rejects six power rail loan agreements.
- 1914: Woodrow Wilson signs the declaration of Mother’s Day.
- 1941: 36,000 Persian Jews arrested.
- 1948: Israel declares independence from Britain.
- 1963: Kuwait becomes the 111th member of the United Nations.
- 1969: Colonel Muammar Gaddafi reaches Mecca in Saudi Arabia.
- 1973: US Supreme Court approves equal rights for women in the military.
- 1984: One dollar coin introduced in Australia.
- 1992: India banned the LTTE, a Sri Lankan rebel organization known as the Tamil Tigers. The United Nations and 32 countries, including India, called it a terrorist organization.
- 1992: Australia’s longest running TV show Getaway Nine shown on the network.
- 2006: Former Communist leader Giorgio Napolitans is elected as the new President of Italy.
- 2013: Brazil becomes the 15th country to recognize gay marriage.