May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 19 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 19. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 19 May:
- 1571: Miguel Lopez de Jagazpi founded Manila, the capital of the Philippines.
- 1714: The Queen of Great Britain refuses to allow members of the House of Hanover to remain in Britain during her lifetime.
- 1769: Pope Clement XIV is elected as the 249th Pope in place of Pope Clement XIII.
- 1802: Napoleon Bonaparte established the Saab French Legion (Sir’s army).
- 1848: The world’s first department store opened.
- 1885: German Chancellor Bispark captured the African country of Cameroon and Tongoland.
- 1900: The world’s largest rail tunnel then opened to commuters, connected by the Italy-Switzerland route.
- 1926: Benito Mussolini declared Italy as a hangman nation.
- 1930: White women get the right to vote in South Africa.
- 1971: Russia launches MARS-2 program.
- 1976: Australia gives legal recognition to gold ownership.
- 1999: Mahendra Chaudhary of Indian origin appointed Prime Minister of Fiji.
- 2002: East Timor emerged on the world map as the first new nation of the new millennium after four centuries of slavery.
- 2006: Indian-origin Malaysian industrialist T.
- 2016: Egyptair flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo disappeared over the Mediterranean.