According to Gregory calendar, December 27 is the day number 361 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 361. December 27 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 27. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 27th December:
- 1512: Spanish Crown issues the Laws of Burgos, governing the conduct of settlers with regards to native Indians in the New World
- 1571: Germany mathematician and astronomer Euhan Kepler is born. His three laws related to astronomy are known as the Kepler law.
- 1657: “Flushing Remonstrance” petition signed in the Dutch colony of New Netherland, protesting the ban on Quaker worship
- 1703: England and Portugal make treaty on Methuin Ascento trade agreement.
- 1797: Famous Urdu poet Mirza Ghalib was born in Agra, Uttar Pradesh.
- 1825: Construction of the first public railway with steam engines completed between Stockton and Darlington, England.
- 1900: British human rights activist Emily Hobhouse arrives in Cape Town.
- 1911: ‘Jana Gana Mana’ was sung for the first time during the Calcutta (now Kolkata) session of the Indian National Congress.
- 1939: An earthquake in Turkey killed about forty thousand people.
- 1945: International Monetary Fund is established with 29 member countries. The objective of this institution is to keep the foreign exchange values stable, streamline commercial development and progress etc.
- 1949: Queen Juliana of the Netherlands grants independence to Indonesia
- 1965: Salman Khan, Indian actor (Bajrangi Bhaijaan), born in Indore, India
- 1966: The world’s longest cave ‘Cave of Swallows’ was discovered in Aquisamon, Mexico.
- 1968: The first manned mission to orbit the Moon landed in the Apollo-8 Pacific Ocean.
- 1975: 372 people died in the Chasanala coal mine accident in Dhanbad district of Jharkhand.
- 1979: After invading Afghanistan two days earlier Soviet forces pull off a coup in Kabul, killing President Hafizullah Amin
- 1982: Imran Khan 8-60 to bring innings victory v India at Karachi
- 2000: Legal recognition of premarital relationships in Australia.
- 2007: Former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto is assassinated in Rawalpindi.
- 2007: Former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto is assassinated by a suicide bomber.
- 2013: The legendary actor and prolific actor of the Hindi film industry, Farooq Sheikh, passed away.