May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 02 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 02. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 02 May:
- 1750: Carlo Goldoni “La Bottega di Cuff” premiered in Mantua.
- 1813: Napoleon wins against the German alliance in the Battle of Luton.
- 1816: Leopold of Sayke-Cobourg (later King of the Belgians) married Charlotte Augusta, but she died the following year.
- 1845: The collapse of a suspension bridge in Great Yarmwood, England, killed about 80 people, mostly children.
- 1866: Battle of Callao:Peru’s fighters battle the Spanish fleet.
- 1885: King Leopold II of Belgium established the independent state of Congo at the Berlin Conference.
- 1885: Good Housekeeping magazine was put on the market for sale for the first time in the United States.
- 1918: Owner of General Motors bought Chevrolet Motor Company of Devare.
- 1924: The Netherlands refuses to recognize the Soviet Union.
- 1933: Hitler banned trade unions in Germany.
- 1945: The German army surrenders in Italy.
- 1952: De Havilland Comet 1, the world’s first jet aircraft, made its first flight from London to Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 1952: The first passenger jet flight route opened between London and Johannesburg.
- 1953: Hussein is crowned King of Jordan.
- 1968: Lok Sabha passed Public Provident Fund Bill. Public Provident Fund (PPF) is a deposit scheme used for saving and tax-saving in India. PPF accounts can be opened in any post office in India, in any branch of State Bank of India, and in some other nationalized banks.
- 1968: Israeli Broadcasting Authority begins television broadcasting.
- 1982: The weather-related channel first aired on cable television.
- 1986: 30-year-old N.N.of United States of America. Bancroff became the first woman to reach the North Pole.
- 1997: Tony Blair becomes the youngest Prime Minister in Britain’s parliamentary history. The Labor Party came to power in Britain after 18 years.
- 1999: Mireya Moskoso elected first female President of Panama
- 2008: Nearly 1,38,000 people died and millions were left homeless due to the severe cyclone “Nargis” in Myanmar (Burma).