May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 22 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 22. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 22 May:
- 1545: Death of Sher Shah Shuri, the founder of Sur dynasty, who built the country’s longest road from Peshawar to Calcutta.
- 1570: The first atlas, titled Theatrum Arbis Terramum, was published, with a total of 70 maps.
- 1712: Emperor Karel VI is crowned King of Hungary.
- 1735: George Headley publishes the first interpretation of “Trade Wind”.
- 1746: Russia and Austria sign treaty of cooperation.
- 1762: Sweden and Prussia sign peace treaty.
- 1772: Birth of renowned social reformer Rajaram Mohan Roy.He started the Brahmo Samaj movement and raised his voice against evils like child marriage and sati system.
- 1841: Revolt in Guria in 1841: The Georgia province of Guria started a revolt against the Russian Empire.
- 1843: First wagon train with 700–1000 migrants sent to Freedom Oregon, Missouri.
- 1855: The province of Victoria was administratively separated from Newsouth Wales.
- 1892: Doctor Washington Sheffield invented the tube for toothpaste.
- 1906: The Wright brothers get a patent from the US for their flying machine.
- 1933: World Trade Day was celebrated for the first time.
- 1936: Foundation stone of India’s first stadium Brabourne Stadium in Bombay.
- 1939: The signing of the Treaty of Steel between Germany and Italy during World War II.
- 1943: British commandos raid the Yugoslavian island of Maggette in an operation Farrier.
- 1960: A 9.5 magnitude earthquake struck southern Chile on this day. This was the highest intensity earthquake ever recorded.
- 1963: India’s first glider Rohini took off.
- 1987: Hashimpura massacre took place in Meerut, India.
- 1992: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia and Slovenia join the United Nations.
- 2010: Air India Express Boeing 737 crashes while landing in Mangalore. In which 158 people died.
- 2012: Tokyo Skytree Tower opened in Japan. After the Burj Khalifa of Dubai and the Canton Tower of China, Japan built its tallest building, the Tokyo Sky Tree.