May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 27 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 27. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 27 May:
- 1153: Melkollam IV becomes King of Scotland.
- 1199: Joan was crowned King of England.
- 1717: Spain unites its South American colonies as the Viceroyalty of New Grenada.
- 1799: Battle of Winterthur: The French army of the Danube secured the Hobbsburg control of north-east Switzerland.
- 1805: Napoleon Bonaparte becomes emperor of Italy.
- 1856: Doctor William Palmer (Rowley Poyzner) is convicted of poisoning in Stafford, England.
- 1895: Film projector patent obtained by British inventor Bert Akres.
- 1896: Tsar Nicholas II became the last emperor of Russia.
- 1926: Adopts constitution in Lebanon.
- 1981: Soviet Union conducts nuclear test in eastern Kazakh region.
- 1994: Nobel Literary Award-winning Russian writer Alexander Solkenitsyn returned home after 20 years of exile in the West.
- 2006: More than six thousand people died in a magnitude 6.3 earthquake in Java island of Indonesia.
- 2010: India successfully test-fires Dhanush and Prithvi 2 missile equipped with nuclear technology at Balasora district in Chandipur, Odisha.