November is the eleventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. The month kept its original name from the Latin novem meaning “nine” which marked it the 9th month of the year in the Roman calendar.
According to Gregory’s calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. November 10 has its own special significance in India and world history.
November was named during a time when the calendar year began with March, which is why its name no longer corresponds with its placement in the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and world History on November 10. Read on to know more about this day.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
List of Important Historical events of 10 November:
- 1483: Martin Luther was born who introduced a new stream of Christianity.
- 1793: The rule of forced worship of God was abolished in France.
- 1793: France ended the worship of God by force.
- 1885: Gottlieb Demeler introduced the world’s first motorcycle.
- 1891: The first women’s Christian Temperance Association meeting was held in Boston.
- 1894: Fred Lugard signs a contract with “Obsalamu” of King Lafia Nikki.
- 1909: American composer and lyricist Johnny Marks is born.
- 1919: The first national conference of the American Legion is held in the city of Minneapolis.
- 1940: A 7.7-magnitude earthquake in Bucharest, Romania, killed more than 1000 people.
- 1946: Slimbridge Wetland Reserve opened in England.
- 1951: Direct dial coast-to-coast telephone service launched in the United States.
- 1964: Leonid Brezneff was elected general secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
- 1969: Sesame Street aired its first episode on the network.
- 1970: The Great Wall of China is opened for tourism.
- 1978: Rohini Khandilkar became the first woman to win the National Chess Championship.
- 1982: Leonid Brezhnev, the leader of the Soviet Union, is killed. Brezhnev ruled the Soviet Union for 20 years.
- 1986: Constitution re-enacted in Bangladesh.
- 1989: The demolition of the Berlin Wall began in Germany.
- 2001: Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee addressed the United Nations General Assembly.
- 2006: Sri Lankan Tamil MP Nadarajah Raviraj Colombo is assassinated.
- 2008: NASA terminated the Phoenix mission five months after landing on Mars, ceasing communication with the lander.
- 2013: Famous Rajasthani litterateur Vijayadan Detha died.