November is the eleventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. The month kept its original name from the Latin novem meaning “nine” which marked it the 9th month of the year in the Roman calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. November 19 has its own special significance in India and world history.
November was named during a time when the calendar year began with March, which is why its name no longer corresponds with its placement in the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and world History on November 19. Read on to know more about this day.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
List of Important Historical events of 19 November:
- 1809: The Spanish Army weakened in the Battle of Okana and 4000 soldiers of the Spanish Army were killed and others were wounded by the French Army.
- 1816: University of Warsaw is established.
- 1822: Nearly 200 people died from an earthquake near Valparaiso in Chile, causing a tsunami and extending the coastal region.
- 1824: Floods in the city of St.Petersburg, Russia, killed about ten thousand people.
- 1828: Rani Lakshmibai, the queen of the Maratha-ruled Jhansi kingdom and the first Indian freedom fighter of 1857, was born.
- 1893: The first color supplement Sunday was published by the New York World newspaper.
- 1895: Frederick E.Blessdale patented paper pencils.
- 1910: British Prime Minister Asquith campaigned for the British Parliament.
- 1912: In the First Balkan War, Serbia’s army captured Betola and ended the Ottoman rule of Macedonia.
- 1917: India’s first woman Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was born, her full name was Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi.
- 1926: Paramount Theater opened in New York City.
- 1932: Third Round Table Conference on Indian Independence opened in London.
- 1933: Women get the right to franchise in the European country Spain.
- 1940: A German bombing on Birmingham kills around 900 people.
- 1952: European country Spain becomes a member of UNESCO.
- 1975: Indian film actress Sushmita Sen was born in Hyderabad. Sushmita Sen is India’s first Miss Universe.
- 1985: The summit talks began in Switzerland between the two superpowers of the world – the former Soviet Union and the United States.
- 1994: Indian film actress Aishwarya Rai won the title of Miss World.
- 1995: Indian weightlifter Karnam Malleshwari holds world record in weightlifting. She is the first woman player from India to win a medal in the Olympics.
- 1997: Kalpana Chawla becomes the first Indian woman to go to space.
- 2013: 23 people killed, 160 others injured in a double suicide bombing near the Iranian embassy in Lebanon’s capital, Beirut.