November is the eleventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. The month kept its original name from the Latin novem meaning “nine” which marked it the 9th month of the year in the Roman calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, November 27 is the day number 331 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 332. November 27 has its own special significance in India and world history.
November was named during a time when the calendar year began with March, which is why its name no longer corresponds with its placement in the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on November 27. Read on to know more about this day.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
List of Important Historical events of 27th November:
- 1001: The Hindu Shahi ruler Jaipal was defeated by the invading Mahmud Ghazni.
- 1095: Pope Urban II preached the first crusade (crusade).
- 1382: Battle of Westrozebeke/Roosebeke. French army defeats the Flemish army. Flemish leader Philip Van Artevelde was killed and the corpse displayed
- 1495: Scottish king James IV receives Perkin Warbeck, pretender to the English throne
- 1587: Dutch county of Groningen was flooded by the failure of dyke
- 1703: The first Eddystone Lighthouse was destroyed in the great storm of 1703.
- 1795: The first Bengali drama was staged.
- 1798: Rabbi Shneur Zalman, author (Tanya), released from St Petersburg jail
- 1815: The Kingdom of Poland adopted the constitution.
- 1838: Mexico was invaded by franc forces in the pastry war.
- 1888: The International Delta Delta Delta Sorority was founded at Boston University.
- 1889: Clemson University was founded in South Carolina.
- 1895: The Nobel Prize started according to the will of Alfred Nobel.
- 1905: Japan and Korea signed the ELASA Treaty.
- 1907: India’s famous poet and writer Harivansh Rai Bachchan was born in Allahabad city in Uttar Pradesh.
- 1912: Albania adopted the national flag.
- 1940: Karate’s legendary sportsman and actor Bruce Lee was born.
- 1953: Eminent drama writer Poogeen O’Neill of America died at the age of 65.
- 1966: Uruguay adopted the constitution.
- 1967: French President Charles de Gaulle again reiterated that he would oppose Britain’s mass-market efforts.
- 1971: ‘Mars Orbiter’ of Soviet Russia was launched on Mars.
- 1975: The Guinness Book of Records co-founder Ross Macquarter was shot and killed.
- 1982: Yasuhiro Nakasan became the Prime Minister of Japan.
- 1983: Colombia’s Avionica Flight 11 crashes occurred near Barajas Airport in Madrid city of Spain, killing 181 out of 192 people.
- 1999: Helen Clarke became the first female Prime Minister of New Zealand.
- 2011: The famous Indian classical musician Sultan Khan died.
- 2011: WDC won 62nd Formula One: Sebastian Vettel by 122 points.
- 2013: Tiger Woods was named PGA Tour’s player of the year for the 11th time.
- 2014: Australia’s 25-year-old batsman Phillip Hughes was injured in a home match due to a bouncer ball under the helmet. He could not be saved despite surgery.