April is the fourth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the second month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. April 21 has its own special significance in India and world history.
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Its name is derived from the latin word aperit, which means to open.
It is also believed that the month’s name is named after the Greek goddess, Aphrodite (Aphros).
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on April 21. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 21 April:
- 1451: Bahlol Khan Lodi, the founder of the Lodi dynasty, becomes the ruler of Delhi.
- 1526: Ibrahim Lodi was killed in the first battle of Panipat between the Mughal ruler Babur and Ibrahim Lodi.
- 1703: A company of fire (ie, a fire brigade) is established in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 1720: Baji Rao I, succeeded Peshwa Balaji Vishwanath.
- 1791: In Alexandria, Virginia, the first of forty border stones delineating the boundaries of the new District of Columbia in the United States is placed at Jones Point Light.
- 1815: The eastern part of the erstwhile Garhwal Empire was annexed to the Kumaon division under the administration of the British Raj.
- 1895: ‘Pantopticon’, the first film projector developed in America, was demonstrated.
- 1908: Frederick Cook claimed to have reached the North Pole on this date.
- 1938: Mohammad Iqbal, the famous Urdu language poet of Sare Jahan Se Achcha Hindostan Hamara… died in Lahore, Pakistan.
- 1945: During the Second World War, the Soviet Union captured the outskirts of Berlin.
- 1977: Major General Ziaurrahman appointed President of Bangladesh.
- 1983: One pound coin introduced in Britain.
- 1987: More than 100 people died in a bomb blast in Sri Lanka’s capital Colombo.
- 1996: Sanjay Thapar of the Indian Air Force is landed on the Northern Dhruv by parachute.
- 2004: 68 killed in a missile attack in Basra.
- 2013: Shakuntala Devi, who beat the machine, died in the juggernaut of Akkond.
- 2016: US President Barack Obama embarks on a four-day trip to Britain with Michelle Obama.