According to Gregory calendar, December 15 is the day number 349 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 350. December 15 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 15. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 15th December:
- 1256: Hulagu Khan captures and destroys Hashshashin stronghold at Alamut, in present-day Iran, part of the Mongol offensive on Islamic southwest Asia
- 1515: Afonso de Albuquerque, Portuguese admiral, Duke of Goa and Viceroy of Portuguese India, dies at sea in sight of Goa at around 62
- 1516: After the discovery of the southern American country of Argentina, the first group of immigrants from Spain reached this place. Thus Spain’s authority over this country began.
- 1612: German Astronomer Simon Marius is 1st to observe Andromeda galaxy through a telescope
- 1749: Shahu, the grandson of Chhatrapati Shivaji, died.
- 1794: Revolutionary tribunal in France abolished.
- 1801: Haddi Mustafa Pasha, Ottoman commander and politician, assassinated in Belgrade.
- 1852: Gustave Eiffel, the French engineer and architect who built the Eiffel Tower, was born.
- 1852: French physicist and famous inventor Henri Becquerel was born in Paris. In 1896, he discovered a substance that characterized radio religion.
- 1864: American Civil War – Battle of Nashville: The Confederate Army defeated the Confederate Army of Tennessee.
- 1877: Thomas Edison invented the phonograph.
- 1939: Commercial production of Noilan yarn begins in Delaware, USA.
- 1950: First Deputy Prime Minister of India and Iron Man Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, decorated with Bharat Ratna and died
- 1950: Stampede Farm Sports Stadium in Calgary, Canada officially opened.
- 1953: S Vijayalakshmi Pandit of India was elected the first woman president of the eighth session of the United Nations General Assembly.
- 1961: Organized slaughterhouse organizer Adolf Eyman in the Jewish massacre of Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler, sentenced to death.
- 1961: First episode presented in the BBC series, Comedy Playhouse.
- 1965: 15,000 people died in a cyclone on the banks of the Ganges river in Bangladesh.
- 1966: Walt Disney, the founder of the world’s largest animation company, died.
- 1973: In the wake of the Arab-Israeli war, OPEC, a group of Arab oil producing countries, banned the sale of oil to the United States. Due to which the price of oil went up from three dollars per barrel suddenly to $ 11 per barrel.
- 1973: American Psychiatric Association declares homosexuality is not a mental illness
- 1976: Samoa became a member of the United Nations, independent of New Zealand.
- 1991: Renowned filmmaker Satyajit Ray was awarded the Special Oscar for his achievements in cinema.
- 2000: Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel opens at the Dionland Resort.
- 2001: Pisa Minar, one of the wonders of the world, was reopened to the public after being closed for eleven years.
- 2005: 2005 Atlantic power outage initiated.
- 2007: Emergency civil law enacted in Pakistan.