According to Gregory calendar, December 16 is the day number 350 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 351. December 16 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on December 16. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 16th December:
- 1631: A volcanic eruption in Mount Vesuvius, Italy devastated six villages and killed more than four thousand people.
- 1707: Last volcanic eruption in Mount Fuji Mountains of Japan. 1707 Last record eruption of Mount Fuji in Japan.
- 1740: Frederick II of Persia invades the succession of Austria to start the war and the Habsburg occupation of Silesia.
- 1761: Seven Years’ War: After a four-month siege, Russian Kolbergs under the command of Puert Ryumantesh took over the Prussian fort.
- 1826: Benjamin W. Edwards travels to the Mexican-controlled Nacogdoches, Texas, and declares himself the ruler of the Republic of Fredonia.
- 1838: The Boers win a decisive victory over the Zulus in the Battle of Blood River.
- 1840: 19 years after his death, the French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte was cremated.
- 1854: The machine was used to clean the road in Philadelphia, USA for the first time.
- 1860: Powell Napco, one of the scientists who invented TV, was born.
- 1862: Nepal accepted the constitution of its state.
- 1873: Heineken Brewery is founded in Amsterdam Netherlands.
- 1899: Milan Football Club Association Aisi was established in Italy.
- 1903: Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai opened to guests.
- 1920: More than 1 lakh people died due to earthquake in China’s province of Kansas.
- 1920: Joined the Finland League of Nations.
- 1930: 11 banks closed in North Carolina.
- 1933: Diego Martinez Barrio resigns as Prime Minister of Spain.
- 1939: First battle of Summa begins.
- 1942: Soviet Union launched Tatsinkaya Red.
- 1962: Nepal establishes its constitution and becomes a Constitutional Hindu Monarchy
- 1971: Vijay Diwas (Victory Day): East Pakistan’s independence (as Bangladesh) from Pakistan is recognized internationally after India’s army occupies Dacca, and 93,000 West Pakistani troops surrender
- 2012: A gang rape of a woman on a bus in India that resulted in her death leads to national and international outrage