May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 24 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 24. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 24 May:
- 1653: German Parliament declares Ferdinand II king of Austria.
- 1689: British Parliament guarantees religious freedom to Protestant Christians.
- 1824: The British captured Rangoon and Burma in the First Anglo-Burmese War.
- 1830: First passenger railroad service started in America.
- 1854: Anthony Burns arrested by US Deputy Marshal in Boston.
- 1875: Syed Ahmad Khan founded the Muhammadan Anglo Oriental School in Aligarh which is presently known as Aligarh Muslim University.
- 1883: The Brooklyn Bridge opened to traffic 13 years after construction.
- 1903: Madrid race for automobiles begins in Paris, killing eight people.
- 1915: Thomas Alva Edition invented Telescribe.
- 1921: The first general election for the new Parliament of Northern Ireland was held.
- 1922: Russian and Italy sign trade agreement.
- 1955: French Open tennis tournament opened at Stade Roland-Garros in Paris.
- 1957: Anti-American riots erupt in Taipei city of Taiwan.
- 1959: British Empire Day is named Commonwealth Day.
- 1981: An explosion in a grain elevator in the city of Corpus Christi, Texas, killed 9 people and injured 30.
- 1986: Margaret Thatcher becomes Britain’s first Prime Minister to visit Israel.
- 1991: Operation Solomon commissioned by Israeli Prime Minister Itzhac Shamir.
- 1994: More than 250 Hajis died due to stampede during a Haj ceremony in Meena (Saudi Arabia).
- 2001: Sherpa Tenba Sheri, 15, of Nepal became the youngest climber to conquer the summit of Mount Everest.
- 2002: Russia and the US sign the Moscow Treaty.
- 2002: Russia and the United States sign the Moscow Treaty.
- 2004: North Korea bans mobile phones.
- 2005: NB Inkbair was elected President of Mongolia.
- 2013: Rafael Correia sworn in as Ecuador’s President for the third time.
- 2014: Former Prime Minister of Thailand Yingluck Shinawatra was arrested after a military coup.