May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 25 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 25. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 25 May:
- 1720: The ship “Le Grand Saint Antoine” reached Marseille, and about 100,000 were killed by the plague in Europe.
- 1827: Romanian inventor Petrache Poenu has received a French patent for the invention of a Fortune pen with a replacement ink cartridge.
- 1877: The steamer ‘Sir John Lawrence’ carrying 732 passengers drowned near the Orissa coast.
- 1961: US President John F.Kennedy announces financial assistance to launch space mission.
- 1963: For the first time in African history, 32 African countries came together to form an organization called the African Union.
- 1989: Mikhail Gorbachev was elected acting president of the Soviet Union.
- 1991: Israel expels about 14,000 Jews from Ethiopia.
- 1995: American scientists succeed in decoding the DNA of a living organism for the first time.
- 2003: Chile won the World Cup tennis title for the first time.
- 2006: NASA launches weather satellite named GOESN into space. The United States successfully conducted a ship-based interceptor missile.
- 2007: Sri Lankan government granted in-principle permission to citizenship of Tamil refugees.
- 2008: The Finnish rover sent by the US Space Agency landed on the surface of Mars.
- 2010: Indian-origin 59-year-old Kamala Prasad Bisesar was elected the first female Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, defeating outgoing Prime Minister Patrick Manning.
- 2011: America’s famous Oprah Vifrey show closed after 25 years. The anchor of this hit American show was Oprah Wifrey.
- 2013: 80-year-old Yuishiro Miura of Japan became the world’s oldest person to climb Mount Everest.