May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 29 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 29. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 29 May:
- 757: Saint Paul-I begins his tenure as Catholic Pope.
- 1658: Aurangzeb defeated Dara Shikoh at the Battle of Samugarh.
- 1724: Pope Benedict XIII born Piero Orsini, who succeeded him as Pope in 245th.
- 1727: Peter-II became the Tsar of Russia at the age of 11.
- 1733: Canadians retain right to keep Indian slaves in Quebec City.
- 1790: Rhode Island ratified the United States Constitution and became the last of the 13 original states to do so.
- 1861: Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce is established.
- 1874: The current constitution was implemented in Switzerland.
- 1915: Tofilobraga becomes President of Portugal.
- 1947: An airplane crashes on a mountainous area on the Flugelag Islands, killing 25 people.
- 1953: Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay become the first to reach Mount Everest.
- 1959: Charles de Gaulle becomes President of France.
- 1970: United Russia conducts underground nuclear test.
- 1972: Actor and founder of Prithvi Theater, Prithviraj Kapoor passed away.
- 1983: Neil Bonnet wins his 24th race in the world at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- 1990: 56 dead due to earthquake in South American country Peru.
- 1990: Establishment of European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
- 1999: Civil power established in Nigeria.
- 2007: Japan’s Rio Mori became Miss Universe 2007.