May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 30 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 30. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 30 May:
- 1539: Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto discovers Florida.
- 1646: Spain and Netherlands sign a ceasefire agreement.
- 1783: First daily newspaper in America is published from Benjamin Tower, Philadelphia.
- 1797: William Wilberford marries Barbara Ann Spooner.
- 1826: First Hindi newspaper Udanta Martand started publishing
- 1859: Battle of Fetto:The Sardinian army defeated the Austrian army.
- 1867: Dar-ul-Uloom established in Deoband, Uttar Pradesh.
- 1910: General Louis Botha becomes the first Prime Minister of the Union of South Africa.
- 1919: Rabindranath Tagore returned the title of ‘Sir’ in protest against the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.
- 1962: The 1982 FIFA World Cup begins in Chile.
- 1975: European Space Agency is formed.
- 1987: Goa becomes the 25th full state of the country.
- 1990: An earthquake in Peru killed 135 people.
- 1998: A massive earthquake in northern Afghanistan killed 5,000 people.
- 2015: English batsman Alastair Cook became the highest run-scorer for England in Test cricket.