November is the eleventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. The month kept its original name from the Latin novem meaning “nine” which marked it the 9th month of the year in the Roman calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, November 24 is the day number 328 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 328. November 24 has its own special significance in India and world history.
November was named during a time when the calendar year began with March, which is why its name no longer corresponds with its placement in the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on November 24. Read on to know more about this day.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
List of Important Historical events of 24th November:
- 1434: The water of the Thames River in London froze as Ketudco.
- 1542: The English defeat the Scots at the Battle of Solway Moss in England.
- 1744: John Carteret resigned as British Secretary of the Northern Department.
- 1759: The volcano erupted on the Vesuvius mountain peak in Italy.
- 1827: The election for France’s 430-member Chamber of Deputies went to the polls. The supporters of King Charles X, the Ltravarist, lost by a majority of 233 seats and received 180 seats.
- 1831: British physicist Michael Ferrede discovered electricity.
- 1832: South Carolina passed a notification ordinance
- 1871: The National Rifle Association was organized.
- 1877: The first Hindustani Kawasaji Jamsetji Patigra to become deputy commissioner was born.
- 1903: Clyde Coleman patented the automobile electric starter.
- 1904: The first successful caterpillar track was produced.
- 1914: Benito Mussolini was ejected from the Italian Socialist Party.
- 1926: Eminent philosopher Sri Aurobindo attained complete accomplishment.
- 1938: National Semi-Pro Basketball Congress authorizes yellow basketball
- 1944: Famous Indian film actor and film director Amol Palekar was born.
- 1950: Popularly known as the ‘Great Storm of the Appalachian’, the cyclone brought strong winds of 250 km per hour.
- 1961: The World Food Program (WFP) was included in the UN’s temporary program.
- 1961: The United Nations adopts bans on nuclear arms over American protests.
- 1966: The first TV station opened in Kinshasa, the capital of Congo.
- 1986: Legislators were expelled from the House for the first time in the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.
- 1988: For the first time, Lok Sabha MP Lalduhoma was disqualified under the anti-defection law.
- 1988: The popular American cult television comedy Mystery Science Theater made its debut at 3000 KTMA.
- 1989: Sachin Tendulkar scores a Test Cricket fifty aged 16 years 214 days, a record
- 2003: Uma Devi Khatri, who created comedy in Hindi films, died.
- 2007: Former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif arrived home after eight years of exile.